Translate

Search My Words

4/3/14

Make Life Better: Intro and Part 1

Brothers and Sisters in Humankind,                                                                                
                  
Disclaimers
      (:      I make no claim to absolute truth.  I believe that we come to truth by presenting ideas.  Also, whichever ideas are deemed most likely to be true gain momentum faster than those ideas which are deemed less likely to be true. 
            While I believe humans to be too limited in their capacity to know absolute truth, I also believe that absolute truth exists.  There are a few reasons I believe this.  One, I believe we exist.  I believe our existence provides evidence that something happened to result in our existence.  I don’t think any of this is generally disputed.  Two, I believe that since we exist then something must have caused it.  If x caused our existence then we can think it likely that something else, y, didn't
             Humankind can make claims that x is more likely to be true than untrue or more likely to be true than y.  This is what many academic disciplines through natural and social sciences discuss.  Academic areanas in vast diciplines represent people discussing their reasons for thinking why x is more likely to be true than untrue. 
            While I don’t make claims to objective truth I will often speak as if I do.  That means not all my language will have disclaimers.  The disclaimers are provided here.  Imagine if throughout all my ideas I said things like “Humans want to be happy.  That isn’t a claim to objective truth but rather that it is more likely that humans wants to be happy than it is likely that they want to be unhappy”.  I imagine that would be annoying reading.  I write acting as if I know objective truth because that makes the language more powerful thus more persuasive.

 Intro to Series:
            This series which I’ve titled “Making Life Better”  is being written by me to push a discussion on how to make life suck less for the people it sucks for.  I’m writing it to provide an open forum to my friends.   Also, for anyone whom  they desire to share my posts and the subsequent discussions with. 
            Feel free to critique; ask questions about, etc. my ideas or even my writing.  Being critiqued is the process by which I believe our abilities are best improved.  I am far from perfection.  I have my strengths and I have my weaknesses.  I’m open to anyone exercising their ability to improve my ideas and abilities. 
            I believe that making life better is a universal goal.  I believe that people would rather be happy than sad.  I believe that people want to see others happy.  I believe that there are countless values which are similar worldwide.  We may disagree on methods of achieving happiness, we also often disagree on : “Who, What, When, Where, Why” which I’ll further refer to as “Identity Questions”.  Conflicts which exist the world over are based on identity questions, not values. 
            I believe that people have the power to make the lives of others better.  I’d further argue that making the lives of others better makes their own life better.  I’d go still further and say that not only does it make ones life better it makes Humankind better off. 
            This introduction was to provide the reader with the reasons for my decision to write this.  I know when someone does something unique then people want to know why they are doing that thing.  Curiosity is always a good thing.   This introduction existed to help satisfy potential curiosities. 
                                   
  Part 1:
            The power to make the life of another better is the power to make your own life better and the power to help humankind fulfill its highest aspirations.  I believe this for several reasons.  One, donating time or effort is almost always a positive interaction.  Two, I believe that in the business environment people enjoy their job based on their personal interactions while in the environment.  People don’t enjoy their job because of what they’re doing alone.  Three, people are happier in open-social community’s than they are in controlled-closed communities. 
            Next time you find yourself at a charitable event count the smiles and count the frowns.  I observe that charitable events always seem to have a general consensus of happiness.  I’ve found this true whether it’s donating blood to the Red Cross or in Food Drive events.  Donating can be thought of much more broadly.  Donation, to me, is the giving of something to assist someone else despite that donation not appearing to benefit yourself directly.  Thus donation can be as simple as holding the door open for somebody or as broad as donating millions of dollars to a charity. 
            Can you have a job which requires doing tasks you hate and still enjoy your job?  Yes!  Why?  Because while your working the world is moving.  While you’re working people came in and out of your company. While you’re working you talk, make jokes, smile, laugh.  If positive conversation, laughing, smiling, etc are a large part of your work experience then you look forward to going to work in spite of the stuff you are required to do at work.
            How miserable did people appear during the brutal cold compared to how they appear to be with sunny and warm weather.  Of course, there is a difference in suffering endured, Sunshine provides good things for our body and mind, etc.  However people are much more open to the world when it is warm.  People focus more on what is happening around them when their head is not faced down dealing with the bitter cold.  People look around.  People see things happening.  People look at each other and smile.  People talk.  Things happen when people talk.  Friendships are mad,.  Potential plans for ideas are discussed, etc .  The progress of Humankind is thus better enabled by warm weather than cold weather and members of the community are happier.
            This part of “Make Life Better” was provided to argue in favor of the idea that “the power to make the life of another better is the power to make your own life better”.  If you feel that this argument could be improved by your contribution then feel free to critique.  Just keep it civil. : )

May you always live in peace,

Caleb Ball 
If you'd like to discuss this further then lets have an open conversation on Twitter
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment